VMSA strongly recommend that all Sheds have a current insurance policy in place.
We do not specifically offer advice nor offer any recommendation on which insurance policy, broker or company that your shed should insure with, as we are not a Licensed Financial Service Advisor as required under the law to give such advice.
As with all insurance products you would use in your personal life, its important each shed should do their own due diligence, research and comparisons and if necessary, seek independent advice as to what insurance product best suits their specific requirements, circumstances and budget.
We are aware of several companies that Victorian Men’s Sheds use for insurance including, but not limited to:
- Jobs Australia (via Marsh Insurance)
- Everest Insurance (via the Australian Men’s Shed Association (AMSA)
- Victorian Managed Insurance Authority (VMIA) (only currently available to Auspiced sheds funded by Victorian Government)
- Gallagher’s – are no longer offering the Men’s Shed Insurance program.
This list is by no means exhaustive and there may be other options some sheds are using.
As it would appear Gallaghers may be exiting the field of Insurance for Mens Shed’s, the two insurers covering most sheds are Jobs Australia via Marsh Insurance and Everest via AMSA
Marsh Insurance manage the Jobs Australia Insurance and have provided the following update on January 11th 2022 for Sheds to consider as following:
Jobs Australia is a national organisation that supports the largest network of Not-for-Profit Members who provide diverse employment services and pathways, education, training and skills development and community and social services. (See Membership Brochure attached)
As part of our membership subscription organisations can access the Blanket Cover Insurance Program offered in collaboration with our brokers, Marsh.
The Blanket Cover Insurance Program was developed more than 30 years ago to provide broad coverage at a very competitive price for the Not-for-Profit industry.
A summary of the cover is provided in the attachment (Blanket Cover Insurance Program) which explains all the inclusions.
How to access the Blanket Cover Insurance Program.
To access the Blanket Cover Insurance Program, your organisation must be a Member of Jobs Australia.
Jobs Australia membership
- Membership subscription is $2.25 per Men’s Shed Member per annum (GST Included)
- Quotes will be prepared on a pro rata basis if you join throughout the year.
Blanket Cover Insurance Program
- To access the Blanket Cover Insurance Program, you will be charged a subscription fee of $35.75 per Men’s Shed Member per annum (GST Included).
- Due to the administrative cost, a minimum of ten members applies.
- Quotes will be prepared on a pro-rata basis if you join throughout the year.
- Contents insurance is included in the Blanket Cover Insurance Program. Cover will be provided based on the information supplied in section 23 on page 8 of the Blanket Cover Insurance application form, where you should declare the organisations content value and locations.
To assist our Men’s Shed Members, Jobs Australia will cap any possible price increase to be handed down to Members to 7.5% for the 30 June 2022 – 30 June 2023 financial year.
- Owned building cover is issued separately to the Blanket Cover Program, directly through Marsh. If your organisation owns buildings, please complete section 24- 26 on page 9 of the application form and Marsh will be in contact, to provide a separate insurance quotation for the building.
The Blanket Cover Insurance Policy is a group policy that runs annually from 30 June to 30 June.
Jobs Australia in collaboration with our brokers Marsh are working on reducing the excess applicable on Public Liability policy. We are aiming to have this implemented from 30 June 2022. However, over the next 6 months leading up to 30 June 2022, Jobs Australia is willing to work with any Men’s Shed that might have a Public Liability claim subsequent to binding cover, based on hardship to subsidise the excess amount up to a maximum of 80% of the applicable excess.
If you would like an insurance quote, please follow the steps below:
Fill in the insurance application form (attached).
The application form is unfortunately a standard form for all organisations. Jobs Australia acknowledges that the form requires information that is not applicable to Men’s Sheds. As such, you may complete the below clauses only.
1. Business Details
- Items not applicable should be filled in as N/A
- Item h) should include all the Men’s Shed Members, including Committee Members
3. Business Activities (1)
4. State Split of Your Business Activities (2)
5. Directors and Officers (3,4,5,6,7,8)
6. Crime (9,10,11)
7. Claims (22)
8. Contents insurance (23)
- Content insurance is included in the Blanket Cover Program. Cover will be provided based on the information supplied in section 23 on page 8 of the Blanket Cover Insurance application form, where you should declare the organisations content value and locations.
Owned Building cover is issued separately to the Blanket Cover Insurance Program, directly through Marsh. If your organisation owns buildings, please complete section 24- 26 on page 9 and Marsh will be in contact, to provide a separate insurance quotation for the building.
If the insurance quote is accepted, we can then complete the membership application. Organisations must be Members of Jobs Australia to access the insurance program.
In order to support your Members and expedite the process if you could send this email and the attachments to your Members, we would be most appreciative and then will do our best to get a quote back to them as soon as possible for consideration.
Any questions don’t hesitate to give me a call.
Alexander Saba+ | Senior Account Executive – Commercial, Consumer & Affinity
t: +61 3 9613 1412 | m: +61 436 809 551 |
Tower 1, 727 Collins Street, Melbourne, VIC, 3000